High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is a common medical condition defined as elevated pressure of blood in the arteries. Although it’s normal for blood pressure rates to rise and fall, consistent high blood pressure levels can lead to serious health concerns, such as a heart attack or aortic aneurysm. It is thought that 1 in 4 adults worldwide have high blood pressure, though not all of them will realise.
There are two main types of hypertension:
- Primary Hypertension: Develops gradually over time and has no identifiable cause, but it could be linked to genetics, high body weight, a sedentary lifestyle or stress.
- Secondary Hypertension: Appears quickly, and is caused by an identifiable underlying condition. This might include kidney disease, congenital heart defects or thyroid issues.
The main symptoms of high blood pressure include blurred vision, nosebleeds, shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness and headaches. However, many people with high blood pressure feel fine, which is why you should have your blood pressure checked on a regular basis.
There are a number of lifestyle changes that you can make to manage hypertension, such as adopting a healthy diet, avoiding tobacco and alcohol, and engaging in regular exercise. However, emerging scientific research suggests that Cannabidiol (CBD) — the non-psychoactive compound found in the hemp plant — could also help to lower blood pressure. In this article, we look at the science in more detail, as well as share our recommendations for taking CBD for blood pressure.
Can CBD Lower Blood Pressure?
There is some scientific evidence to suggest that Cannabidiol (CBD) can help to lower blood pressure. To begin with, chronic inflammation can lead to high blood pressure, and there is evidence that CBD has anti-inflammatory properties that can help counter this. Additional studies on the specific relationship between CBD and blood pressure also show promising results.
- A 2023 randomised controlled trial observed that ‘after five-weeks of CBD administration to hypertensive patients, reductions in blood pressure were paired with significant drops in the catestatin peptides involved in hypertension.’
- A 2017 study on nine healthy male volunteers concluded that CBD ‘reduces resting blood pressure’ and the blood pressure associated with increased heart rate of those that were under stress.
- Another 2017 study on mice concluded that ‘the positive effects induced by CBD, include maintaining the fall in blood pressure after global hypoxia, [suggest] that CBD may be used as a treatment for various cardiovascular disorders, such as hypertension and stroke.’
- A more recent, 2020 study, found that CBD may have vasodilatory effects in human and rat arteries, and could improve blood flow.
- A 2012 study on twenty-six patients with high blood pressure found that medical cannabis reduced blood pressure after 3 months of use.
There are also a number of related conditions that CBD can help with, such as stress and addiction, that could have positive effects on blood pressure. However, further research is required to confirm these findings.
Does CBD Interfere With Blood Pressure Medications?
As stated by the World Health Organisation (WHO), CBD is generally well tolerated with a good safety profile, however adverse effects may be a result of interactions between CBD and patients’ existing medications. This could include blood pressure medication.
Indeed, research suggests that, in some cases, blood pressure medications may delay and/or reduce the beneficial effects of CBD.
If you’re considering using CBD to help manage high blood pressure, it is therefore crucial that you talk with your doctor first to ensure you won’t experience any adverse side effects.
How Much CBD Should I Take for Blood Pressure?
While one 2017 study found that a single dose of hemp-derived CBD could help reduce resting hypertension, there is not one recommended dosage for taking CBD for blood pressure. The amount you require will depend on several factors, including your genetics and metabolism.
Our recommendation would be to start with a low dose of 10-20mg, and then to increase it until you find your perfect dosage.
CBD Oil For Blood Pressure
As well as being designed for easy digestion and quick absorption, our broad-spectrum CBD oils are recommended for safe use in sports by The Banned Substance Control Group, which means they are 100% THC-free and won’t show up on a drug test.
CBD Gummies For Blood Pressure
Our Jelly Domes offer a simple, discreet and delicious method for taking CBD. Infused with a perfect blend of natural flavourings and premium hemp, these jellies come in three delicious flavours: orange, grape and lemon.
We are Purity Hemp, the UK’s #1 Online CBD Shop. Backed by science, and built on the principles of traceability, transparency & trust, we are dedicated to improving the health and wellness of all our customers.