Since its legalisation in the UK in 2018, Cannabidiol (CBD) — the non-psychoactive compound found in the hemp plant — can be found in all sorts of products, with each promising a new way to enjoy this powerful plant. One of the most popular ways to consume CBD is through coffee, with advocates stating that CBD’s calming properties balance out the caffeine jitters for total inner equilibrium. And this shouldn’t come as much of a surprise — in the UK alone, we drink around 95 million cups of coffee a day (which marks an increase of 28 million compared to 2008), so it’s no wonder that people are trying to find new ways to enhance the popular beverage.
In this article, we answer your most frequently asked questions on CBD coffee, including the health benefits and its legal status in the UK.
What Is CBD Coffee?
CBD coffee is coffee infused with cannabidiol, the non-psychoactive compound derived from the hemp plant. CBD has been linked to a number of potential health benefits, including pain relief, anti-inflammatory effects, neuroprotective properties, lower blood pressure, and a reduction in symptoms for mental health disorders, such as depression, anxiety, psychosis and insomnia.
There are three main types of CBD coffee.
- Coffee Beans or Grounds: Regular coffee beans infused with CBD oil.
- Coffee Pods or Capsules: Pre-measured amounts of CBD-infused coffee in capsules, for use with pod coffee machines, such as Nespresso.
- Ready-to-Drink Beverages: Pre-packaged CBD-infused coffee beverages, such as cold-brew coffee.
You can also purchase CBD-infused syrups or additives to enjoy in your usual cup of coffee.
BOGOF on our coffee pods with CODE 241coffee at checkout.
Is CBD Coffee Safe?
The World Health Organisation confirmed that ‘CBD exhibits no effects indicative of any abuse or dependence potential’ and that, to date, ‘there is no evidence of public health related problems associated with the use of pure CBD.’ Thus, CBD coffee is considered safe for consumption providing it meets the government’s criteria to be lawfully available for human consumption.
Make sure you’re buying your CBD coffee from trusted websites or pharmacies who provide independent laboratory reports which detail no more than 0.2% THC, and no additional nasties, such as pesticides, herbicides and mycotoxins. You should also look for a Certificate of Analysis (COA), which details the compounds found in a CBD product.
Is CBD Coffee Legal in the UK?
CBD coffee is legal in the UK as long as it doesn’t contain more than 0.2% THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol), the main psychoactive compound in marijuana. Reputable manufacturers should provide independent laboratory test results with their products to show the exact THC content in their products.
Although low amounts of THC shouldn’t show up on a drug test, if you want to avoid consuming THC altogether, then you should purchase products that are tested by independent third party labs and certified as 100% THC-free, and/or those made from broad-spectrum extract, which contains all the same compounds as full-spectrum CBD, minus the THC.
Does CBD Coffee Get You High?
No, CBD coffee is non-psychoactive so it shouldn’t get you high. This is because CBD contains low or no THC, the main psychoactive compound in marijuana which is responsible for the high.
What Are the Benefits of CBD Coffee?
The benefits of CBD coffee include:
- Anxiety Relief: CBD has been shown to have anxiolytic properties, which can help to reduce stress and promote a sense of calm. When added to coffee, it might also counteract the jitters that some people experience after consuming caffeine.
- Improved Focus: CBD is thought to help regulate our emotional state which, when combined with coffee’s stimulating effects, could improve focus.
- Antioxidant: Both CBD and coffee are rich in antioxidants, which helps to combat oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can otherwise contribute to the development of a range of chronic conditions, such as diabetes and heart disease.
- Improved Gut Health: Although coffee can cause gastrointestinal distress for some, CBD is thought to be beneficial for our gut health by reducing inflammation that is associated with digestive disorders.
- Better Sleep: Despite the fact that caffeine can interfere with sleep, CBD is thought to improve the quantity and quality of your sleep, which could mitigate the effects of caffeine-induced insomnia in some individuals.
- Pain Relief: CBD is emerging as a promising natural treatment for pain, with early studies suggesting that it ‘exerts its pain-relieving effects through its various interactions and modulation of the endocannabinoid, inflammatory, and nociceptive (pain sensing) systems.’
- Neuroprotective Properties: CBD has neuroprotective properties that can ‘protect nerve cells against damage, degeneration, or impairment of function’, like what is seen in Parkinson’s disease.
Can I Put CBD in My Coffee?
Yes, you can put CBD oil in your coffee. Grab your usual coffee with your preferred milk and sweeteners if you have them, and pop your usual oil dosage into your cup. This is a more discreet (and tasty!) way to take CBD oil as part of your regular routine.
If you’re unsure on your dosage, our advice is to start low and slow — start with a lower concentration and a smaller dosage, then increase slowly until you get the desired effects. This is your optimum point, but it can take weeks/months to find it, so be patient.
BOGOF on our coffee pods with CODE 241coffee at checkout.
We are Purity Hemp, the UK’s #1 Online CBD provider. Backed by science, and built on the principles of traceability, transparency & trust, we are dedicated to improving the health & wellness of all our customers.
We are proud to be one of the only companies to guarantee full traceability from seed to shelf with our premium range of products, tested by third-party, independent quality control analysts.