Hair growth is a natural process that occurs in cycles, and consists of three main phases: the anagen (growth) phase, the catagen (transition) phase, and the telogen (resting) phase. Hair growth tends to be faster during certain stages of life, such as childhood and young adulthood, though it can be affected by several factors such as genetics and hormonal changes. Indeed, while healthy hair growth is a sign of overall wellness, hair thinning or loss can also be a sign of nutritional deficiencies, stress, or a medical condition. For lots of us, hair thinning or loss can also impact our self esteem and confidence.
The good news is that there are some effective natural remedies to prevent hair loss and promote hair hair growth, including Cannabidiol (CBD). And with other natural oils blowing up on TikTok for their support with faster hair growth, why not see what it’s all about? In this article, we cover everything you need to know about CBD for hair growth, including how it works and how to use it.
CBD for Hair Growth
Cannabidiol (CBD) is thought to support hair growth as it is rich in essential fatty acids, such as omega 3 and omega 6, and contains high doses of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and vitamin E — all of which are great for the skin and the scalp. One study of 35 subjects with androgenetic alopecia (pattern hair loss caused by genetics and aging) recorded an average 93.5% increase in hair after 6 months of topical CBD use. In addition to this, it is thought that CBD interacts with our endocannabinoid system which regulates various physiological processes, including hair follicle cell growth. Let’s have a look at this in some more detail.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: CBD has known anti-inflammatory properties that could help to soothe inflammation on the scalp. This creates a healthier, more nurturing environment for hair to grow. This is also ideal if you have a scalp condition like psoriasis or folliculitis.
- Moisturising Properties: CBD oil contains essential fatty acids, such as omega 3 and 6, which promotes hydration and prevent dryness of the scalp. This can also help to prevent hair breakage.
- Blood Circulation: CBD has been shown to increase blood circulation, which is crucial for delivering essential nutrients and oxygen to the hair follicles.
- Protein: CBD oil contains amino acids, the building blocks of protein, which can help to strengthen hair and reduce dryness.
- Sebum Production: CBD oil ‘balances sebum production so it’s great for oily, dry or problem scalps’ and can help ‘to address a variety of hair and scalp complaints.’
How to Use CBD Oil for Hair
After washing and drying your hair to remove dirt and sweat, massage the CBD oil onto the scalp and into your hair using your fingertips. If you have thick hair, you should part your hair into sections to ensure even and effective coverage.
It is important to note that some research has shown that lower doses of CBD seem to stimulate hair growth, while higher doses seem to inhibit it.
If you have stress-induced hair loss, you should consider a regular CBD dosage to help manage your stress levels. Not sure where to begin? Read our expert guides on The Different Types of CBD and How to Choose the Right CBD Product for You.
CBD for Beard Growth
Cannabidiol (CBD) can also help to promote faster beard growth. It enriches the beard with nutrients and protein, stimulates blood flow and follicle growth, and soothes irritated skin for a softer, healthier and thicker beard.
- Wash your beard with a beard shampoo or cleanser.
- Place a few drops of CBD oil onto your palm. We recommend starting with a small amount and then building it up if needs be.
- Rub your hands together to distribute the oil, which will help with application and absorption.
- Starting from the base of your beard, work the oil into your beard using your fingertips.
- Use gentle, circular motions to massage the oil in. Make sure to work it right down to the skin.
- Comb the oil through your beard to further distribute the product.
- Leave the oil in for a few hours or overnight, though you can remove the oil earlier if it’s too greasy or heavy to manage.
- Repeat as part of your daily grooming routine to promote beard growth.
Can CBD Be Found in Hair Drug Test?
Drug tests don’t tend to screen for Cannabidiol (CBD), but it is possible for it to show up on a hair drug test if it is being tested for. There is a higher risk of failing a drug test because of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) though, as small amounts are present in some CBD products. That said, if you’re purchasing legal products with low or no THC, it shouldn’t be enough to show up.
To eliminate the risk of a positive drug test, use certified broad-spectrum CBD as this delivers the full benefits of CBD, while remaining drug-free.
We are Purity Hemp, the UK’s #1 Online CBD Shop. Backed by science, and built on the principles of traceability, transparency & trust, we are dedicated to improving the health and wellness of all our customers.